Declaration or Change of Minor

The Disciplinary Minor

Minors, either disciplinary or interdisciplinary, may be closely related to a student's major, selected as an alternative field of specialization, or chosen simply for personal enrichment.

Generally, a minor consists of at least 18 credits and ensures that a student pursues an area of study in some breadth and depth beyond the introductory level and outside of the major. 

Students may declare up to two minor areas of study. 

Starting with the Class of 2019, successful completion requires a minor GPA of 2.00.

 Procedure for Declaring or Changing a Minor

  1. Complete a Declaration or Change of Minor Form.
  2. Obtain the signature of the appropriate Department Chair(s) or Minor Program Director(s).
  3. Sign the form and return it to the Registrar's Office, Duffy 112.
  4. Note: You must fill out a Declaration or Change of Minor Form to drop a minor, but you are not required to obtain any signatures.

The Interdisciplinary Minor

Interdisciplinary minors (formerly referred to as Interdisciplinary Concentrations) give students the opportunity to explore, in some depth, a well defined question or topic beyond the major.
Students interested in pursuing an Interdisciplinary minor should contact Prof. Peter Ubertaccio , the Director of the Martin Institute for details.

Invalid Major/Minor and Double Minor Combinations

Because a minor must have breadth and depth, 50% of the credits required for a minor must not fulfill any other major or minor program requirements in which a student is enrolled.  In addition, departments and programs may restrict certain major/minor and double minor combinations.

As a result, click here for a chart of major/minor and double minor combinations that are NOT valid: