If you would like to include a document (Word document, PDF, Excel spreadsheet or PowerPoint file) in your Targeted Announcement, you must first follow the steps for mapping the web fileshare to include images and documents in a targeted announcement. Once you have access to the Documents folder on the web fileshare, you can proceed with the steps below.
Please note that these documents will be deleted automatically after 30 days. If the document is no longer in the folder, the hyperlink will not work. Every user who sends Targeted Announcements will have access to this web fileshare, so please do not delete any files uploaded by other users.
- Make certain that the name of your file has no spaces whatsoever. You can accomplish this by not entering a space between words in the file name, or by using underscores between words. Do not use any punctuation in the file name.
- NOTE: This is very important. Your link will not work correctly if you have spaces in the file name before uploading it.
- You also need to know the file extension for the document you are uploading, as this is part of the file name and will be necessary for creating the hyperlink.
- Copy the file into the “Documents” folder on the web fileshare.
- Now that the document has been uploaded to the web fileshare, it is ready to be linked to from the web.
- The template for your hyperlink is as follows:
- Add the name of your file after the forward slash at the end of the text above, including the file extension at the end of the filename, to get the hyperlink you need to have users access the document you wish to include in your Targeted Announcement.
- For example, if the name of the file you wish to upload is RequestForm.pdf, then the hyperlink will be:
- Once you have uploaded the document and discovered what the hyperlink is, you are ready to craft your Targeted Announcement.
Creating a Hyperlink in a Targeted Announcement
- From the “Message Content” step in the Targeted Announcement workflow, type your message into the “Announcement Message” field.
- Select the text you want to turn into a hyperlink, and then select the Insert/Edit Link button.
- In the “Link” window that appears, enter the hyperlink for your document into the “URL” field and then click the OK button.
- NOTE: You do not need to enter the “http://” into this field as it is already selected in the “Protocol” drop-down menu.
- The text you selected with now be underlined and the font color will be blue, indicating that it has successfully been turned it into a hyperlink.