PLEASE NOTE: Depending on your version of OS X, you may see slightly different steps than those below.
- Obtain the name and model number of the printer you wish to install. This information can be found on the front of the printer itself. (For example, the faculty Xerox in Duffy 225 is labelled "DUFaculty-P4", and it is a 7855.)
Download and run the installer for the current Xerox driver. (This link and the following instructions are for Xerox printers only; to install an HP printer please download and install the latest driver for your model from HP's website and skip to Step 3.)
- Click Continue on all steps to advance through the installer.
- Do not choose a printer at the Select Printer step, instead click Continue.
- You will receive a message reading "Print Queue Not Created". Do not click the Select a Printer button; instead click Continue, and close the installer.
- On your Mac, go to System Preferences, then select the Printers & Scanner icon.
- Click on the + below the list of printers.
- If you are connected to the hillspot wireless network, or plugged into an ethernet cable, you should see a list of printers under the Default tab. You may need to scroll down, but you should see printers with the prefix PRINTSERVER-PRD in front of the name. Select the printer you wish to install from among these. For example, to install the printer AcademicAffairs-P1, you would select PRINTSERVER-PRD-AcademicAffairs-P1 from the list.
(Note: If you do not see your printer listed, click here.)
- From the Use dropdown menu, choose "Select Software..."
- Select the printer’s model from the list and click OK, then click the Add button. To find it quickly, type the model number into the search field at the top. (For example, to find the DUFaculty-P4 driver from the example in Step 1, we could type in "7855" to find the driver quickly in the list.)
- If a window containing various printing options appears, simply leave the settings at their defaults and click OK.
You should now see the printer listed in your Printers & Scanners. From here you can right-click or Control-click the printer to rename it or to set it as the default printer.