PLEASE NOTE: Depending on your version of OS X, you may see slightly different steps than those below.
- First, ensure that you are either connected to the hillspot wireless network, or plugged in via an ethernet cable. (The "guest" network will not allow you to print.) Ensure you can access the internet successfully.
- Obtain the name and model number of the printer you wish to install. This information can be found on the front of the printer itself. (For example, the faculty Xerox in Duffy 225 is labelled "DUFaculty-P4", and it is a 7855.)
Download and run the installer for the current Xerox driver. (This link and the following instructions are for Xerox printers only; to install an HP printer please download and install the latest driver for your model from HP's website and then skip to Step 3.)
- Click Continue on all steps to advance through the installer.
- Do NOT choose a printer at the Select Printer step, instead click Continue.
- You will receive a message reading "Print Queue Not Created". Do not click the Select a Printer button. Instead, click Continue, and close the installer.
- On your Mac, go to System Preferences, then select the Printers & Scanner icon.
- Click on the + below the list of printers.
- Select the IP button from the top bar of the window that appears.
- In the Address field, type "PRINTSERVER-PRD" in all-caps.
- From the Protocol dropdown, select Line Printer Daemon - LPD.
- In the Queue field, type the name of the printer that you got earlier from the label on the front of the printer, exactly how it appears there, case-sensitive. For example, to add the faculty Xerox in Duffy 225, you would enter "DUFaculty-P4".
- In the Name field, again type the exact name of the printer, which you can copy from the previous field you just entered. Again, for this example you would enter "DUFaculty-P4" in the Name field.
- From the Use dropdown menu, choose Select Software...
- Select the printer’s model from the list and click OK, then click the Add button. To find it quickly, type the model number into the search field at the top. (For example, to find the DUFaculty-P4 driver from our example, we could type in "7855" to find the driver quickly in the list.)
- If a window containing various printing options appears, simply leave the settings at their defaults and click OK.
You should now see the printer listed in your Printers & Scanners. From here you can right-click or Control-click the printer to set it as the default printer if you wish.