What is "Health Services?"

Health Services is an appointment-based clinic that is designed to manage acute episodic health problems and the flare-up of chronic problems while you are here at Stonehill. Health Services is staffed by two family nurse practitioners, a physician's assistant, a part-time physician, a health educator and an administrative assistant who are dedicated to one objective: helping you maintain your health so that you can continue your education. They are there to provide you with care, treatment, information and advice about any health problems that develop. The service is always confidential.

Back to Top

Can anyone use Health Services?

The services are available free to all full-time students (residents or commuters). Your confidential Health Record form must be on file in the Health Services Office before you can be treated. This form is to be completed by you and your physician and contains your past medical history, current medical problems, your immunization record, and such essential information as allergies to medications, etc. All information presented is, again, confidential and available only to members of Health Services staff.

Health insurance is required by Massachusetts law and it must be an insurance that is billable in Massachusetts. If your private insurance is not comparable, you will need to purchase the school health insurance. Health insurance is required for laboratory tests and x-rays ordered out of Health Services. Out of state Medicaid is not considered comparable insurance, although enrollment in Massachusetts' Mass Health does qualify. However, Mass Health coverage frequently ends at age 19 leaving students without any coverage. Insurance policies from other countries are not

Back to Top

What other services are available from Health Services?

  1. Health Services can provide you with recommendations for on-campus or local community resources that provide services for tuberculosis treatment, sexually transmitted infections, eating disorders, psychiatric care, or certain disabilities. In general, Health Services is available to help students find information and proper care or accommodations for a number of medical conditions. We encourage students to contact us directly with their specific needs.
  2. When a student has a chronic disease such as diabetes, epilepsy, eating disorders, etc., we will need a summary from your physician. In consultation with your physician, we can monitor you as needed while you are at school.
  3. We can arrange for the transfer of your medical records to another school.
  4. Referrals can be made to the Stonehill College Counseling Services.
  5. Health Services staff is very willing to act in a consultative manner for any health related issue. If you have any questions or concerns, call ext. 1307 for an appointment.
  6. Flu clinics are offered every fall semester.
  7. Health Education counseling and wellness information. Make an appointment with the Health Educator to discuss diet, exercise, how to manage stress, preventing roommate conflicts, alternative activities to drinking, and much more.
Back to Top

What do I do if I am sick?

If you are not feeling well you should call Health Services at 508-565-1307 for an appointment with a nurse practitioner. She can diagnose and treat many of the common health problems of a student on a college campus. She has the authority to prescribe prescription drugs as well as dispense over the counter medications. The physician is also available on a part-time basis to see students with more complex problems. You may be requested to return to see the physician during her clinic hours.

Back to Top

Can a nurse come to my room if I am too sick to come to Health Services?

No, unfortunately we cannot spare staff to be in residence halls as that would leave the clinic understaffed. We can assist you with getting transportation via Campus Police or if you are too ill via ambulance to an emergency room.

Back to Top

What do I do about meals when I'm too ill to go to the dining hall?

The ill student or his/her roommate should call ext. 1888 and speak directly to a food service employee to notify them of the illness. Requests for special diets for sick students most often can be fulfilled. When a roommate/fellow student picks up the meal, the ill student's meal expenses will be deducted from their account balance at a later time.

Back to Top

What do I do if I am too ill to attend class?

It is your responsibility to contact your professors prior to your class to make any arrangements regarding your make-up work. You should then call Health Services for an appointment to be seen by the nurse practitioner.

If a professor calls Health Services, we can only verify that you have been seen unless you sign a release form giving us permission to discuss your health problem with the professor. Excuses from classes are written in very limited circumstances for serious illness or injury only.

If you see a physician or health provider outside of the college, you should get a note from that person if you think your professor may require it. Any time you are diagnosed with a communicable disease, you need to notify the Health Services office. If you are ill or injured and this results in a long absence from school, you need to notify Health Services and Academic Services.

Back to Top

What happens if I get sick after 4:15 or on weekends?

Please refer to our After Hours page for complete details.

Back to Top

Can I get my immunization at Health Services?

The State of Massachusetts provides Health Services with the means to offer some immunization. Feel free to call to inquire.

Back to Top

Can I get a physical at Health Services

No, we do not offer routine physicals at Health Services. We can assist you in locating a local facility that will provide physical examinations.

Back to Top

What if the health care provider wants me to have laboratory tests or x-rays or see another doctor?

Most laboratory tests needed can and will be collected at Health Services. These specimens are then sent to an outside laboratory for processing. If you need x-rays or other radiological testing, they can be scheduled for you at local facilities.

If you are referred to a specialist for consultation or further treatment, a list of specialists in the local area is available and you will be assisted with making the appointment. If you are unable to keep medical appointments that have been made, either contact Health Services or cancel the appointment yourself.

Remember: Health insurances vary in their coverage for each of the above items. It is important to always present your insurance card and be aware that your insurance may or may not cover the cost of the test or appointment

Back to Top

If the health care provider orders medication, where do I get it?

Usually, a two-day supply of several prescriptive medications is available free of charge with the remainder of the treatment given through a prescription which you can get filled at one of the local drug stores, the closest is CVS. Some of the over the counter medications are also available free of charge. Health Services does not dispense vitamins, medications for acne, birth control pills, diet pills or sleeping pills.

Back to Top

Is there a pharmacy at Health Services?

No there is not.

Back to Top

What if I have a disability?

Students having any medical or physical disability are encouraged to contact Health Services in confidence as early as possible before enrollment to ensure coordination of comprehensive medical care and adequate insurance protection. Accommodations are made in coordination with the Office of Academic Services.

Back to Top

What is the policy regarding health dismissals?

The college physician or psychiatrist may determine that an individual student's physical or emotional well being is compromised by living on campus and/or attending classes. In such situations the student may present a danger to himself/herself or to others.

The college physician or college psychiatrist has the authority to recommend to the Dean of Students the removal of such an individual from residency and/or from attendance at classes.

The return of such a student is contingent on a medical determination by the college that the student has sufficiently recovered to resume normal residency or class attendance, as the case may be.

Back to Top

When I get a bill for services rendered outside of Health Services, what do I do? (Only Applies if you are enrolled in the Stonehill College Insurance Plan)

You should contact the facility where you were seen and ask for the bill to be sent directly to the insurance plan. Provide your ID number and the address of the Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk which appears on the back of your ID card. It should be understood that you are responsible for any medical expenses incurred outside of Health Services, that are beyond the defined limits of, or excluded from coverage by the student health insurance plan.

Back to Top

What services does the insurance company cover? (Only applies if you are enrolled in the Stonehill College Insurance Plan)

This question can be most fully answered by referring to http://www.gallagherstudent.com/stonehill. The following guidelines should be considered "helpful recommendations" relative to using your Student Insurance Plan.

  1. Read the online brochure carefully so that you are aware of the limitations and exclusions of the policy.
  2. When hospital or doctor bills are received, send the bills to the Student Insurance Division address on the back of your ID card making sure that you indicate that you are a Stonehill College student.
  3. Be aware that this policy does not give complete coverage should you be hospitalized. If you have additional medical insurance, you would be wise to retain it.
Back to Top