Benefits of an Internship
Obtaining an internship not only makes you more marketable as a job candidate, but gives you the opportunity to gain greater understanding about your chosen field.
Internship Quick Facts
- Approximately 85% of Stonehill students complete at least one internship-related experience prior to graduation
- Last year, employers made full-time offers to almost 65% of their interns*
- Students who have multiple internships on their résumé at graduation tend to have more interviews and field more job offers than those who do not
*Source: National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE)
Completing an internship will...
- Enhance your resume with career-related experience
- Build networking contacts for your future job search
- Allow you to learn more about a potential career industry or field
- Provide you with an opportunity to apply academic learning to hands-on situations
- Allow you to immerse yourself in a new organizational culture
- Help you learn career-related skills such as public speaking, report-writing, and handling customers and clients
- Polish communication skills needed in the workplace
Finding an Internship
The Office of Career Services maintains an online internship/job database, Handshake for students to search for hundreds of internship opportunities.
Job & Internship Sites
The Office of Career Services has compiled a number of other online resources for students to search for regional and national opportunities.
Getting Credit for Your Internship
Students who wish to receive academic credit for their internship should follow these steps:
- Log in to 'myHill'
- Click on the 'myPlans'tab
- Go to the "Stonehill U.S. Internship Request for Approval" channel
- Complete the online internship application prior to the end of Add/Drop period
Note: All for-credit internships require faculty approval prior to the end of that semester's add/drop period. Students have the option to complete internships for credit or not-for-credit. See the full list of faculty moderators by department here.
Summer Internship Registration
Students may intern for up to 3 internship credits over the summer. Two options are available: a summer-for-summer internship, and a summer-fall split internship. For more information, and instructions on obtaining credit for your internship, go to the Registrar's webpage: http://www.stonehill.edu/2016-summer-courses/internships/ .