What is the Cornerstone Program?

The Cornerstone Program consists of the general requirements every student must complete no matter what major they are pursuing. These requirements are outlined in the Hill Book here.

When do I have to declare a major?

At Stonehill, you are not required to declare a major until prior to the start of the second semester of your junior year. Of course, some majors (ie business, education, mathematics, science) should generally be declared early on, as there are more required courses for these majors. If you are undecided, this page contains strategies for choosing a major.

How do I declare or change my major or minor?

A Declaration of Major/Minor Form is available online, in the Registrar's Office.

How do I request a double major?

You must complete a Double Major Form, including a four year plan, which is available online, or in the Registrar's Office. This request must be made prior to your final 10 courses.

May I have a double minor?

Unfortunately, you do not have the option to declare a double minor. Although, you may follow the track for a second minor, and make note of a concentration in that field when writing cover letters, applications, etc.

Do I need to see my advisor?

Yes. You should meet with your advisor prior to course selection to discuss how the semester is going thus far, and possible course options for next semester. At your meeting, your advisor will provide you with your PIN card, which is required to register for classes. You should also follow up with your advisor about the courses you selected.

Do I have the option of changing my advisor?

Yes. It is very important to have a good rapport with your advisor. If you feel there is another faculty member that is currently an advisor in your major you would like to work with you may fill out an Advisor Request form.

How do I add or drop a course?

Once you have received a finalized schedule of your classes from the Registrar's Office, you have access to add or drop courses from your schedule through the date listed in the Academic Calendar as the last day for add/drop. 

What do I do if I want to drop a class after the add/drop period ends?

After the add/drop period is over, you still have several weeks to withdraw from a course. You should first discuss the issue with your professor and parents to weigh out the pros and cons of withdrawing from a course. Once you have decided if withdrawing from a course is in your best interest, you must meet with an advisor in the Office of Academic Services to further discuss the process, prior to the date listed in the Academic Calendar as the last day for course withdrawal.

How does a withdrawal work? What does it mean?

You can withdraw from a class by the date listed in the Academic Calendar by stopping by the Office of Academic Services and picking up a withdrawal form. You will have to get this form signed by your professor and then meet with an advisor in the OAS&A, who will discuss the pros and cons of withdrawing and a plan for making up the class (if needed). A withdrawal differs from dropping a class (only an option during the add/drop period at the very beginning of the semester) in that it will appear on your transcript with a "W". This is usually not an issue, unless there are a number of "W"s on your transcript, or you can't provide a reasonable rationale for withdrawing when asked by a future graduate school or employer.

How does a course withdrawal for medical reasons work?

If course withdrawal is due to a medical reason, the College requires that the student provide primary medical documentation to the College’s Designated Health Care Professional - either the Director of Counseling Services or the Director of Health Services - prior to the approval of the course withdrawal. The documentation required will be determined on a case-by-case basis based on the nature of the medical reason presented.

In the case of a medical course withdrawal, the Dean of OAS&A shall contact, based on the nature of the medical reason presented,  the Designated Health Care Professional, and inform them of the need for a medical withdrawal consultation. The Designated Health Care Professional will determine the documentation required, review the documentation, and provide written confirmation to the Dean of OAS&A that the documentation presented is sufficient. Upon receipt of written confirmation of sufficiency, the Dean of OAS&A may grant the course withdrawal.

How do I take a course for a pass-fail grade?

The pass-fail option is open only to juniors and seniors, only in a course which is a free elective and which is taken in a department other than your major or minor department. You must fill out a form in the Registrar's Office during the first two weeks of the semester to apply for pass-fail option.

What are the requirements for credit overload?

After speaking with your advisor, you may petition to take more than 17 or 18 credits (depending on your major - see the credit overload policy in the Hill Book) without charge by completing a Credit Overload Authorization Form available online or in our office. You must meet the following criteria:

  • Advisor approval
  • Minimum semester or cumulative grade point average of 3.3
  • First year students are not eligible.

The Director of Academic Services may approve exceptions to the above policies.

May I take a course during the summer and transfer the credits to Stonehill?

Yes. First, you must have the course approved by the Registrar's Office. More information is available through their website on the transferring credits page.

How do I transfer to Stonehill?

All prospective transfer students should email Sam Smith, Special Assistant to the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Marketing, or call him at (508) 565-1217. 

Who should I contact if I recently transferred to Stonehill?

Recent transfers should contact Darcy Lynch, Associate Director for Academic Services and Advising, with any questions on advising and academics at the College.

Who should I contact if I am thinking of withdrawing from Stonehill?

If you plan to withdraw from the College you will need to fill out the College Withdrawal form (available in Duffy 104) and meet with an advisor in the Office of Academic Services and Advising.