Academic Standing

Academic Policies & Procedures

Students are not only to pass their courses, but also must maintain an acceptable grade point average. Academic status is determined at the end of each semester during the academic year.

To be in good academic standing, a student must earn a minimum GPA of 2.00 and maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.00. Students who fail to achieve a 2.00 are subject to academic probation, separation, or dismissal.

Academic Probation

If a student earns lower than a 2.00, he/she is placed on Academic Probation. Probation remains in effect until the student achieves good academic standing. A first semester of probation has a variety of consequences, including that the student may be prohibited from participation in extra-curricular activities.

Academic Separation

Students will be separated from the College for the following:

  1. Earning a combination of 3 "F"s in any one semester or 4 "F"s in two successive semesters.
  2. Qualifying for Academic Probation for the second successive semester, or for 3 non-consecutive semesters.

Appeal Procedures following Academic Separation

Students separated from the College by reason of academic deficiency have the right to appeal the decision to the Academic Review Board. Requests for such an appeal must be made in writing to the Office of Academic Services and Advising within a time frame noted in the letter of separation. Failure to appeal within the time stated will, under all but the most extraordinary circumstances, disallow such appeal. If a student's appeal is denied, at least one full semester must elapse before applying for readmission. The right to appeal is restricted to two separations. A second separation results in permanent dismissal from the College.

Period of Separation

During the period of separation, a student may choose to take courses at another accredited institution. If so, those courses must be pre-approved by the Registrar's Office. Only grades of "C" or better will be transferable. ("C-" grades will not transfer).

Readmission to the College Following Separation

After having been separated for at least one semester, a student may apply for readmission to the College. To do so, the student should send his or her request in writing or by e-mail to the Office of Academic Services and Advising. Upon receipt of this letter, a Petition for Readmission form will be sent to the student. This process may be initiated any time after March 15, but should be completed by July 1 for the fall semester. For the spring semester, this process must be completed between October 15 and December 1. In the event a student is readmitted, there is no guarantee of either housing on campus or financial aid. Inquiries about on-campus housing and/or financial aid should be directed to those specific offices.

Academic Dismissal

A student who has been readmitted after an academic separation may be permanently dismissed for the following:

  1. Earning lower than a 2.00 in a subsequent semester.
  2. Violating the Academic Integrity Policy.