In recognition of outstanding academic achievement, Desiree Piette ’15 has earned the 2015 Ronald J. Fraser Award as the outstanding senior in the Communication Department’s Communication Studies Program.
Piette, a communication and healthcare administration double major from Granby, Connecticut, has demonstrated a commitment to scholarship that exemplifies the habits of mind that Stonehill seeks to help students cultivate.
An active member of the campus community during her time at Stonehill, Piette was a resident assistant (RA) for five semesters and president of the RA Council during her senior year.
Piette also served as treasurer of the disABILITY Enlightenment Project, a club that seeks to raise awareness of disabilities, both visible and invisible, and as vice president of the Running Club.
In her sophomore year, Piette went on a H.O.P.E. service immersion trip to Coachella Valley, California, and helped build houses for immigrant communities. In her senior year, she volunteered at the Brockton VA Hospital’s Community Living Center as an activities assistant, and served as a hospice volunteer with Gentiva Hospice, providing support and companionship to terminally ill patients in a nursing home setting.
Piette, who intends to pursue certification as a Licensed Nursing Home Administrator after graduation, also completed an internship with Genesis Healthcare, a company that specializes in skilled nursing and rehabilitation.
Selected Activities and Achievements
- Inducted into the Lambda Epsilon Sigma Honor Society (Stonehill College)
- Inducted into the Upsilon Phi Delta Honor Society (healthcare management)
- Inducted into the Lambda Pi Eta Honor Society (communication)
- Participated in a H.O.P.E. service immersion trip to Coachella Valley, California
- Volunteered at the Brockton VA Hospital
- Volunteered with Gentiva Hospice
- Interned with Genesis Healthcare
- Treasurer of disABILITY Enlightenment Project
- Vice president of the Stonehill College Running Club
- Member of the Stonehill College Healthcare Society
- President of the RA Council