Wednesday, November 1, 2017
- Chocolate Myths: Is It Good For You? Just as you sit down to eat all that Halloween candy, research finds that perhaps chocolate isn't as good for us as we hoped. Vox reports that the Mars company has sponsored hundreds of scientific studies to show cocoa is good for you, leading people to believe that chocolate has all sorts of health benefits, including aiding everything from you memory to your heart health. The truth is far more modest than we've been led to believe by flashy articles on websites, magazines, and TV programs.
- Creating Bibliographies: Do you have questions about how to manage your citations and create a bibliography? Have you been getting questions about this from your students? We can help!
- Introducing the New RefWorks: The library recently made an updated version of RefWorks available to students, faculty, and staff. There are significant improvements and changes to the product.
- Consultations Available: Need help with a final project or paper for one of your courses? We can help! Librarians are available for one-on-one consultations as the end of the semester approaches. We can assist you at any stage in your research process.
- Veterans Day is Saturday, November 11th: Veterans Day as we know it was originally designated by President Wilson as Armistice Day in 1919 to commemorate the signing of the armistice in 1918 that led to the cease-fire between opposing forces in World War I.
- Faculty Research Forum: Associate Professor of Political Science William Ewell will speak on his research; his talk is entitled "No Cost Politics: Why has the Republican Party not paid an electoral price for their ideological extremism?" Please join us on Monday, November 13th, at 2:30pm in the South End of MacPhaidin Library.
- Security Certificate Warnings in Library Resources: The library provides off-campus access to databases via a proxy server; due to websites increasing their security protocols, we are seeing a dramatic increase in the number of security certificate warnings received when trying to access resources.
- Displaying Full-Text PDFs Within Browser Windows: We are aware that you may experience trouble with databases displaying full text PDFs within browser windows; visit this webpage for assistance.
- Finals Are Coming! Post an Image of Your Favorite Study Spot! Yes, it's still a ways off, but the end of the semester is rapidly approaching. Post an image of your favorite study spot in the library and tag @macphaidinlibrary on Instagram and Facebook, tag @macphaidin_lib on Twitter, or email your picture to firstname.lastname@example.org, to be entered to win a prize. Our favorite photo will be featured on our social media before the next newsletter!
- Follow us on Twitter and Instagram, like us on Facebook, and visit our Pinterest page!