Appreciated Stock

For many donors, giving appreciated stock or mutual fund shares to Stonehill may be preferable to giving cash. Federal tax law offers special incentives for non-cash gifts of property, particularly if that property has appreciated in value.

Whether you are making a deferred or current gift, gifts of appreciated securities typically carry benefits not associated with gifts by check, cash or credit card. You can avoid capital gains tax, yet your charitable deduction for federal income tax purposes will be based on the full fair market value of the shares on the date that the gift is made. Securities may be transferred to Stonehill via:

  • Electronic Transfer
  • Mailing Certificates

For information regarding the valuation of stocks and bonds or gift crediting, please contact the Office of Development at (508) 565-1341 or email

Electronic Transfer

If your stock is held by a broker, notify the broker that you wish to make a gift of securities to Stonehill College. Brokers need written authorization from you before they can make the transfer. Be sure to tell them the name of the stock that you want to transfer, the number of shares, and where you would like your gift to be designated when it reaches Stonehill. Once you have authorized the transfer, ask your broker to contact Stonehill’s Office of Development at (508) 565-1341. Our office will give your broker complete transfer instructions.

*NOTE: Even if you have donated securities in the past, be sure that you or your broker contacts the Office of Development BEFORE the transfer is made. The transfer instructions can change from year to year. A quick phone call from you or your broker to verify the current instructions can help prevent any transfer problems.

Mailing Stock Certificates

If your securities are not held by a broker (see Electronic Transfer if they are), then you can either mail or hand deliver the certificates directly to the Office of Development. If you are mailing, send your unendorsed certificate(s) and a cover letter (including your name, address, and purpose of the gift) in one envelope.

In a second envelope, send a signed, signature-guaranteed stock power. We recommend that you use registered mail to forward your certificates and stock power. Your local bank can provide stock power forms.

*NOTE: Please DO NOT mail endorsed certificates! Once the certificate is endorsed, it is legal tender and can be exchanged by anyone. We recommend that certificates not be sent to a transfer agent for registering in the College’s name. This procedure is unnecessary and results in needless delays of the transfer. Our mailing address is:

Stonehill College
Office of Development
320 Washington Street
Easton, MA 02357