Every course taught at Stonehill must have a syllabus that summarizes for the student the key elements of the course. For accreditation and other purposes, the Office of Academic Affairs maintains copies of syllabi for all courses offered. Each Semester faculty must provide electronic copies of syllabi to the department chair and to the Office of Academic Affairs.
In order to be most useful to students, a syllabus should contain the following elements:
- general overview of the course content and plan for assignments and examinations;
- student learning objectives;
- detailed explanation of grading policy;
- office hours and contact information for the instructor;
- expectations for students in terms of attendance, class participation, etc.;
- statement of policy on academic integrity.
A statement regarding accommodation for disabilities should also be included: the Office of Academic Services will provide faculty with a standard statement.
The following header for course syllabi is recommended in order to be consistent in the information provided to students:
- Semester, year
- Course number and title
- Instructor’s name
- Instructor’s office, extension, email
- Instructor’s office hours
- Course Description
Suggested Syllabus Statements
You are welcome to borrow from the suggested syllabus statements provided by the Center for Teaching & Learning as you assemble your syllabus.