S.U.R.E. is an opportunity for students who have completed their first year at Stonehill to perform full-time, high-quality research over the summer under the guidance of an expert faculty researcher. The experience includes weekly lunches, postgraduate career seminars, program-wide outings and a student poster session in the fall.
All majors are required to complete an internship or a directed study, which is under the guidance of and in collaboration
with an experienced faculty researcher.
Recent directed study projects
- Alana Melendez ’13 worked with Wanjiru Mbure, assistant professor of Communication, and Stacy Grooters, assistant professor of English, on “Examining the Effects of Discussion Groups for Women of Color at Predominantly White Institutions.”
- Ashley Trebisacci ’13 worked with George Piggford, associate professor of English, and Christopher Wetzel, associate professor of Sociology & Criminology, on “Sexual Orientation and the Nondiscrimination Policy at Stonehill College.”
Places where Stonehill students have interned include:
- American Cancer Association
- A New Day/Health Imperatives health services center
- Battered Women’s Resources Inc.
- Boston Herald
- Brockton Family & Community Resources
- Collegiate Entrepreneurs
- GateHouse Media
- Green Education Foundation
- Human Rights Campaign
- Massachusetts Commission on the Status of Women
- Massachusetts Department of Social Services
- MCI-Framingham, a medium security correctional facility for female offenders
- Multiservice Eating Disorders Assoc.
- New Hope Inc., working to end domestic and sexual violence
- Old Colony YMCA
- Patriot Ledger
- Plymouth County District Attorney’s Office
- Project Have Hope, a nonprofit to empower women in Uganda
- Silverberg Casting
- United Way
Career Services Resources for Students
The Office of Career Services offers extensive assistance to students seeking employment, pursuing advanced studies or participating in postgraduate service opportunities. By completing internships and utilizing mentors, students are empowered to build lifelong career management skills.
Gender & Sexuality Studies-specific career resources
- Extensive on-campus recruiting program for internships and entry-level jobs.
- Annual career fairs and graduate school information sessions.
- Externships and internships in New York; Washington, D.C.; and Los Angeles (weeklong and semesterlong programs).
Honors Society Affiliation
Lambda Epsilon Sigma
Stonehill’s campuswide honor society.