Internships, Directed Study & Study Abroad
Internships, directed studies, individual research with faculty mentors and study abroad opportunities are available to both Environmental Sciences & Environmental Studies majors.
Past internship sites include:
- Cape Cod National Seashore
- Trinity Catholic Academy, Outdoor Classroom
- Save the Bay
- Natural Resource Trust of Easton
- New England Wildlife Center
- Boston Public Schools, teen health education program
- Massachusetts Audubon, Allen’s Pond, Westport
- Small Planet Institute
- Charles River Watershed Association
- Pioneer Valley Planning Commission
- Environmental Business Council of New England
- Lloyd Center for the Environment
- Stony Brook Wildlife Sanctuary
Former Directed Studies:
- Nautical Science
- Food Security
Individual Research with Faculty Mentors:
- Kaylie Bissonnette ’14: Estimates of Right Whale Feeding Ground Variability
- Jonathan Lai ’14: Humpback Whale Sightings on Stellwagen Bank and the North Atlantic Oscillation
Environmental Awareness Groups and Programs
A number of student groups have been formed at the College to address environmental concerns.
Eco Rep Program
The Stonehill College Eco Rep Program is designed to teach students how to promote campus sustainability and environmental stewardship through peer education. Eco Reps are responsible for hosting at least one program per month in their residence halls. These programs are designed to educate their peers about how to act in a more environmentally conscious way.
Environmental Stewardship Council (ESC)
Made up of representatives from across campus including students and faculty, ESC is charged with developing, recommending and maintaining a series of sustainability goals and improving the effort to reduce Stonehill’s carbon footprint.
The Activism Club
The Activism Club promotes awareness of human rights violations around the world. The club is geared to focus student attention on a specific global human rights violation each semester.
Students for Environmental Action (SEA)
SEA promotes the awareness of environmental issues that affect both the Stonehill Community and the global environment.
Stonehill Enactus works to bring together the top leaders of today and tomorrow to create a better, more sustainable world through the use of business principles and business models. The club promotes the awareness of business opportunities to address and solve social problems by creating outreach projects that improve the quality of life and standard of living.