S.U.R.E. is an opportunity for students who have completed their first year at Stonehill to perform full-time, high-quality research over the summer months under the guidance of an expert faculty researcher. A student in the S.U.R.E. program spends 8-10 weeks of the summer collaborating with a professor - and sometimes other students - on an original research project that fits into the faculty member’s overall research program.
The experience includes postgraduate career seminars, program-wide outings, weekly lunches, and a student poster session in the fall. S.U.R.E. students generally live on campus and receive a stipend for their summer work.
- Chemistry major Nisha Khubchandani ’16 and biochemistry major Matthew Crawford ’16 worked with Pamela Lombardi, assistant professor of Chemistry, on “Enantioselective Cu-Catalyzed Allylic Oxidations Using Amino Acid Based Ligands and Synthesis of New Chiral N-Heterocyclic Carbene Ligands for Catalysis.”
- Alexis Johnson ’16 and Anthony Narin ’16 worked with Cheryl Schnitzer, associate professor of Chemistry, on “Understanding Energy transfer during Photosynthesis.”
Students who are interested in conducting research with a faculty member during the academic year may enroll in an Independent Research course. Independent Research allows students to spend 10-15 hours per week working with a professor on an original laboratory research project.
Summer Research Experiences
Summer research programs provide opportunities for a student to spend the summer at a university anywhere in the country, or even abroad, working in the laboratory of a faculty member at a research university. These programs allow undergrads to work alongside graduate students and post-doctoral fellows, use sophisticated instrumentation and ultimately gain a sense of for graduate school.
Stonehill Chemistry students have participate in highly competitive and prestigious research programs across the country and around the world.
- Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Program in Nanotechnology at UMass-Amherst
- NSF-Thai REU Program in Chemistry in Bangkok at the Chulabhorn Research Institute
- ACS IREU Summer Program at the University of Strathclyde, Scotland
- AMGEN Summer Scholars Program at the University of California, San Diego
- Columbia University REU Summer Program in Organic Chemistry
- General Searchable Clearinghouse
- National Institutes of Health
- U.S. Department of Energy
- U.S. Department of Energy Global Change Program
- U.S. Department of Commerce
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education and Oak Ridge Associated Universities
- National Science Foundation
- National Institute of Standards and Technology
- Department of Homeland Security
- American Chemical Society Clearinghouse for Experiential Opportunities
- Office of Naval Research
- Naval Undersea Warfare Center Newport
- Howard Hughes Medical Research Institute
- Gerstner Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
- Mayo Clinic
- Penn State Hershey Medical Center
- Wake Forest University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences/Wake Forest School of Medicine
- Amgen Scholars Program
- Behavioral Research Advancements in Neuroscience (BRAIN) Announces its Summer Research Program
- CalTech MURF Undergraduate Research Fellowships
- CalTech Amgen Scholars Program
- Nanotechnology Summer Internships
- University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine Summer Undergraduate MSTP Research Program
- Massachusetts Clean Energy Center and the New England Clean Energy Council — Massachusetts Clean Energy Internship Program
- UpState Medical University Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program
Seminar and Thesis
All Stonehill Chemistry majors complete a research thesis in the fall semester of their senior year. In the spring semester, seniors make presentations of their research findings.
Career Services Resources for Students
The Office of Career Services offers extensive assistance to students seeking employment, pursuing advanced studies or participating in postgraduate service opportunities. By completing internships and utilizing mentors, students are empowered to build lifelong career management skills.
Chemistry-specific career resources
- Extensive on-campus recruiting program for internships and entry-level jobs.
- Annual career fairs.
- Biotech and Pharmaceuticals career lunches.
Places where Stonehill students have recently interned include:
- Boston Children’s Hospital
- Cubist Pharmaceuticals
- Good Samaritan Medical Center
- Harvard Medical School