A student in the SURE program spends 8-10 weeks of the summer collaborating with a professor - and sometimes other students - on an original research project that fits into the faculty member’s overall research program. SURE students generally live on campus and receive a stipend for their summer work.
Students who are interested in conducting research with a faculty member during the academic year may enroll in an Independent Research course. Independent Research allows students to spend 10-15 hours per week working with a professor on an original laboratory research project.
Research Experience for Undergraduates
Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) programs sponsored by the National Science Foundation provide opportunities for a student to spend the summer at a university anywhere in the country, or even abroad, working in the laboratory of a faculty member at a research university. REU programs allow undergrads to work alongside graduate students and post-doctoral fellows, use sophisticated instrumentation and ultimately gain a sense of for graduate school.
Seminar and Thesis
All Stonehill Chemistry majors complete a research thesis in the fall semester of their senior year. In the spring semester, seniors make presentations of their research findings.
Some Chemistry majors become lab assistants to earn work-study income through their financial aid packages. Many start as First-Year students, performing tasks around the lab and assisting other students in carrying out experiments.
Lab assistants receive specialized laboratory and safety training, becoming very well acquainted with the Chemistry Department’s computers and instruments. Plus, working in the lab is a great way to get to know the faculty better. A lab assistant usually works between 2 and 5 hours per week. No prior experience is required to apply.
Example Summer Research Opportunities
- General Searchable Clearinghouse
- National Institutes of Health
- U.S. Department of Energy
- U.S. Department of Energy Global Change Program
- U.S. Department of Commerce
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education and Oak Ridge Associated Universities
- National Science Foundation
- National Institute of Standards and Technology
- Department of Homeland Security
- American Chemical Society Clearinghouse for Experiential Opportunities
- Office of Naval Research
- Naval Undersea Warfare Center Newport
- Howard Hughes Medical Research Institute
- Gerstner Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
- Mayo Clinic
- Penn State Hershey Medical Center
- Wake Forest University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences/Wake Forest School of Medicine
- Amgen Scholars Program
- Behavioral Research Advancements in Neuroscience (BRAIN) Announces its Summer Research Program
- CalTech MURF Undergraduate Research Fellowships
- CalTech Amgen Scholars Program
- Nanotechnology Summer Internships
- University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine Summer Undergraduate MSTP Research Program
- Massachusetts Clean Energy Center and the New England Clean Energy Council — Massachusetts Clean Energy Internship Program
- UpState Medical University Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program