Students who complete the Honors Program in Biology will be awarded a degree “with honors in Biology.” Departmental Honor Scholars must satisfy the following criteria:
- Overall GPA of 3.5.
- GPA of 3.2 in science courses (Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Physics).
- Meet either of the following criteria on a national standardized achievement test in biology:
- Score within the top 10% of Stonehill students on the Major Field Test in Biology (MFT; Educational Testing Service, Princeton, NJ); or
- Score within the top 30% of students nationally who have taken either the MFT in Biology, or Graduate Record Examination either in Biology or in Biochemistry, Cell, and Molecular Biology (Educational Testing Service, Princeton, N.J.).
- Submit, and present orally, an acceptable (“B” or better) honors thesis, which is evaluated by a panel of three science faculty. Ordinarily this thesis will be based on a directed study, internship, SURE project or other college-level research experience.
Honors Society Affiliations
Lambda Epsilon Sigma
Stonehill’s campus-wide honor society, Lambda Epsilon Sigma, recognizes students from all areas of study. Students who have demonstrated a well-rounded thirst for knowledge are invited to apply.
Campus chapter: Alpha Rho
National honor society for mathematics and natural sciences.